The step-by-step process to building a consistent golf grip

Today we’re going back to basics and we’re teaching you guys how to build a consistent golf grip. The fundamentals are so important when it comes to building the correct foundation for your swing. But once you’re an experienced player it’s easy to forget the little things. So we’re going to show you how to build a consistent grip, and also some killer mistakes that we suggest you avoid at all costs.

For the purpose of this blog, all of the information is going to be provided for a right-handed golfer, so bare that in mind if you’re a lefty! You’ll also see a cheeky cameo from one of our incredible new training products the True Grip Golf Glove, we’ll give you all the details for that below.

Left Hand

So for the left hand, you want to place the club across the base of your fingers, then close the hand around the club, and make sure you can still see your first two knuckles. The V that’s created between your thumb and first finger (or the blue V on the True Grip Golf Glove) should point up to the right of your chin and your thumb should rest slightly down the right side of the grip.

When you hold the golf club with just this hand, you should be able to hold it with just one finger. As the club is being supported under the fleshy part of the hand, this is a key component, as a lot of people will hold the club in their palm instead and this promotes a weak grip which we do not want.

The reason you want to avoid a weak grip is because it restricts your ability to set the wrists in the backswing, which can lead to an open club face at impact and also a lack of swing speed. How can you tell if you’ve got a weak left hand when you grip? Check to make sure you can see the two knuckles on your left hand. If you can’t see two, then that’s a weak grip.

Right Hand

For the right hand, you want your palm to face towards the target, with the grip across the bottom part of your first finger and the base of the little finger. Then close that hand and slide it up to cover your left thumb.

Then you can gently interlock or overlap the first finger and little finger. Make sure not to have a deep interlock here, as this can place the right hand in a ‘strong’ position where the club sits across the palm again and the hand sits on the underneath of the grip instead of at the side of it. This should be avoided because a strong right hand can cause the club face to shut too quickly during the swing, leading to an increased likeliness of hitting a low hook.

Similarly you also need to ensure that the right hand doesn’t end up too weak. You can check this, because if the grip was weak then the V we spoke about earlier would instead be pointing towards the left shoulder. You want to avoid this because it encourages the shoulders and the club face to open causing the ball to go high and right of the intended target.

When it comes to the grip you need to remember that how you position your hands affects the club face, and the club face accounts for 75% of the direction of the ball. With the other 25% being accounted for by the swing path.

Now, one of the questions we are regularly asked is “how tight should I grip the club?’ So in this video we go into full detail of exactly how much pressure we recommend you use when at address and swinging. Be sure to check out the video below to see the full explanation.

So if you’ve loved this explanation, and our demonstration with the brand new True Grip Golf Glove then be sure to grab yourself one and get practicing the points we’ve gone over in this blog. It’s an absolute game-changer when it comes to your grip and you’ll be pleased to know you can even use it in any competition you play in! We’ve had it certified by the R&A, so it’s completely competition compliant. So you’ve got absolutely no excuses for your grip ruining your game.

They’ve been selling like hot cakes, so be sure you grab your one quick before they sell out completely! But have no fear, we’ve got loads more stock coming soon so if your size is currently sold out then be sure to keep your eyes peeled for the restock.

Share With Friends


Your email address will not be published.